Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quassy 2011






I want to start off by saying Rev 3 did another amazing job putting on another great race. If you have races Quassy you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't it's definitely a race to put on your schedule for next year. Not only do the staff and volunteers do a great job but the course is unbelievable. Very challenging and beautiful. When you register you get free passes into the amusement park. My son had a blast. This is one of the many reasons I love Rev 3 races. So family friendly. And then to top it off my 4 year old son got to run through the finish line with me. He's still talking about it.

I was very excited to be back racing. My hands have taken a lot longer to get better than I ever imagined so this was my first race since Costa Rica in February. I got my transition area all set, took my First Endurance PreRace, went for a short jog and then headed down to the swim with my husband and son and took a quick shot of my First Endurance EFS Vanilla. The water was 69 degrees so no wetsuits for the pros. I had been in the lake the day before and the water temp seemed fine. I wore my TYR Torque and was very comfortable in it and no chaffing!!! The race started and I tried to catch on to the lead group but couldn't find the turnover. I settled in around the first buoy and just tried to keep up my arm speed and make to shore. I came out in just over 30 minutes and was happy to be heading into transition to race on my Kestrel 4000 for the first time.

I was quite cold from the swim and just tried to spin fast to get my legs warm. Fortunately the first few miles are pretty much downhill. I felt very comfortable on my Kestrel thanks to Aria Velo and my Retuel fit. I started settling into the race and loving the climbs and feeling very hesitant on the descents. I have really tried to work on my confidence descending since my accident and it's getting better but still needs work. I was sticking to my race plan and felt like it was working. Around mile 20 I had a problem with my chain. When I shifted into my big ring it fell off on the outside of the rings and had 3 twists in the links. Hmmm. No quite sure how I managed that one but I ha never done that before. I got of my bike and thought I had broken the chain. I tried to stay calm and just get it untwisted. After a few minutes I finally got one of the links untwisted and tried to figure out I did it. Finally it was straight again and I was able to get it back on and get on with the race. I knew I had lost time but didn't want to hammer my legs too much knowing what was ahead on the run. Throughout the bike I had 3 bottles of First Endurance EFS grape and part of a flask. I wanted to make sure I was plenty hydrated going into the run. I worked out great

Transition was a happy sight. I got my Avia Bolts On and headed out. My husband and son were there cheering me on and they always give me a boost especially when I'm having a mediocre day. I tried to focus on my turnover for the entire run and just roll with it. It's such a beautiful course and people were all over giving encouraging cheers which kept me very positive. I sipped on a flask of First Endurance vanilla EFS and had water and Gatorade at every aid station. As I climbed the last hill I kept thinking how lucky I am to be racing and what a wonderful family I have a nd how great my sponsors are to me. I rounded the last turn to the finish and my husband and son were there waiting. My son was so excited to run to the finish with me he practiced for a hour before I got there!!! He was so fast I couldn't keep up. I ended up 11 and was happy to be back at it. The Recovery Pump was calling my name to get my legs back before our cross country flight but my son had the rides in mind. So off we went. He had a blast. We all had a blast!!!

I'm looking forward to starting my ramp up for Cedar Point in September. This race was a great stepping stone for me and I know what I need to do to get ready for a great race in Ohio. Thanks to all my awesome sponsors. Rev 3/Trakkers, TYR, Kestrel, Avia, First Endurance, Recovery Pump, Bicycles Plus, Aria Velo and Fleet Feet sports. I couldn't do it without you. And a huge thanks to my awesome husband and son. Races aren't any fun unless they are there with me!!! Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Kathleen, congrats on a great return to racing despite some obstacles on the bike. It was great to meet and chat with you on Saturday at the pool. Good luck building up for CP and hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race and.way to stay positive through all the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leenie!

    I just stumbled on to your blog - great posts and super super inspiring! I love the positivity in every entry, and it's so fun to see pics of the family! Hope all is well!

    - Jeff (and M.E.)

    ReplyDelete