Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cedar Point September 11, 2011



































































Revolution 3 put on another fantastic race in Ohio at the Cedar Point Amusement Park. This race is special to me as it was my first race as a pro last year. I wanted to come back and have a great day and definitely make improvements on last years race. Leading up to the race the weather was not cooperating. Lots of rain and very strong winds to blow things around, including the water making it very mucky! But that was not going to stop the Rev 3 crew or the participants from a great race. Fortunately by race day the storms had cleared and the weather looked to be great. Ready for a fantastic day of racing.

After getting everything ready in transition I headed back down the beach with my husband to go get ready for the swim. When we got closer to the swim start we noticed a sea of American flags and a tribute to our fallen heroes. It was a very quite scene around the display as people moved to the swim start area. My mom and son had made it out to the beach so I was able to get hugs and kisses from everyone before the start. While I was lined up ready to go I heard my son yell "I love you Mommy". At the end of the day, that's all that matters!




We were off. The first 100 yards or so was running through the sludge from the storms so I wanted to get to a swimable spot as soon as I could. I made it to the first buoy feeling strong in the water and all by myself. As soon as I turned the buoy I noticed two swimmers right there so I made a push to get close and settle in. I felt strong during the swim and was happy to finally feel like my strength was back. As I exited the swim I realize the person I was swimming with was Kate Major. I was happy to be in the position I was in.



Heading out of transition on the bike I learned I was in 4th place behind Malika, Hillary and Kate. I felt strong on the bike and was confident in my training and nutrition plan. My heart rate was very high compared to my power output but I kept it steady and tried to stay focused. I passed Kate about 15 miles in and was so focused on staying steady and controlled I missed a turn. Oops. It was only a minor detour and within a few miles I was right back with her. Kate and I switched places quite a few times throughout the course and then at about mile 90 I passed her and assumed she was there the whole way to the finish. When I got into transition I realized she was not there and I knew I had to take advantage of this because of her awesome running abilities.




Coming out of transition I learned I was about 2-2 1/2 minutes off the lead. I was thrilled to be in this position. My running during my training had gone really well so I was confident in my marathon. My legs started coming around earlier than they had in the past around mile 1.5-2 and my pace was right where I wanted it to be but my heart rate was still a little high. I settled in and focused on my turnover and nutrition and things were great. Until about mile 7! My stomach started feeling awful. I needed a bathroom immediately. But that wasn't going to stop me. I remember reading my teammate Chris McDonald's blog from IM Louisville about having to stop for a bathroom break a few times but being fine after and that's what I kept thinking. But it got to a point where I could not wait for a porta potty. I needed the bushes. It just got worse and worse. Kate passed me about mile 12.5 and just after that point I couldn't run anymore. I walked through the turnaround and kept telling myself I could do this. Things would turn around. After nearly 8 miles with no fuel and over a dozen bathroom stops I couldn't go on. I was devastated to say the least and also very embarrassed. I dropped out around mile 14. I know days like these are bound to happen but why does it have to happen on a great race day?!!!





I ended up in the medical tent with 3 IV bags. I have to thank the entire medical crew and the REV 3 crew for having such an amazing set up. They took great care of me and the others that were in there as well. First class operation.





So now its time to move forward and concentrate on the many positives from the race. I have been so fortunate in my 4 previous Ironman races that I have never had to deal with these issues. It's bound to happen at one point or another. I look forward to figuring out what went wrong and fixing the problem. I will take my fitness and move forward to my next adventure. After all if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger!!!






"Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you." William James






I want to thank all my awesome sponsors for their support!






Trakkers/Rev3 for putting on amazing races and being so good to me and my family! These are the best group of people who truly care so much!






TYR for making such a great wetsuit. I love my Hurricane cat 5. And for all the great training tools to help me prepare!






Kestrel for my awesome ride and the fastest bike split of the day. Even if I do go off course!






Zipp for my awesome wheels!






Cycleops for my awesome trainer and power meter to keep me honest!






Bicycles Plus for keeping my bike in top shape and getting it race ready!






Avia for my Bolt running shoes that made me run a great steady pace for the first 7 miles!






First Endurance for making such quality nutrition products for training, racing and recovery!




Recovery Pump for helping my legs recover faster so I can get onto my next session. And for no kankles after racing and long training days!!!





Fleet Feet Sports for all their support!






And last but definitely not least my family and friends. I couldn't do all the training without my awesome husband and his support. This means more to me than I can even express. My son who inspires me everyday to be the best mommy I can be. Hopefully I can teach him that anything is possible if you believe and to chase your dreams. To my mom who travels to my Ironman races for support and quality time with Brady! And to all my friends for your constant support and encouragement. Until next time...



4 comments:

  1. it was so exciting to see you out there doing great. I'm so sorry that your stomach turned on you. At the run turn-around, you were still smiling though,and that speaks volumes about the kind of racer you are!! Onward!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazingly tough!!! Looking forward to cheering you via the web in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a bit disappointing to know that you dropped out at around 14 miles.Hope you are fine now! I admire your positive attitude. Wishing you luck in the next adventure!

    Tribulus Terrestris

    ReplyDelete